I have not read all the books of the Diary of a Wimpy Kid, only a few ones. My daughter was the one who discovered the series. During the lockdown, she began reading a lot. First, she read many books of Roger Hargreaves’ Mr Men and Little Miss series. Then, she discovered the first book of the Diary of a Wimpy Kid series and she loved it. After that, she wanted to read all the books of the series. She is currently reading the book 9.
Diary of a wimpy kid is written under the form of a diary. This is the life of Greg, a young teenager with a grumpy older brother and a capricious little brother. He always has a lot of problems and he finds very funny (but not very efficient) solutions for most of them.
This post may contain affiliate links. See the Disclosures page for more information.
Which books have we read by now?
- Diary of a Wimpy Kid: my daughter read it as an Ebook. I have not read it yet because the book is available on Amazon FreeTime, on the children’s tablet and I can’t read on the children’s tablet because if I do, they immediately want the tablet to play. As already said, my daughter loved the book and immediately wanted to read the other books
- Rodrick Rules: my daughter read it as an ebook and I haven’t read it yet. This is my daughter’s favorite book in the series.
- The Last Straw: my daughter read it as an ebook and I haven’t read it yet.
- Dog Days: as only the three first books were on Amazon Freetime, we bought the other ones from the bookshop. However, I could not read this book either because my daughter lent it to her grandmother who did not give them back!! I have never quarreled with my mother-in-law yet, I hope we don’t start fighting on Diary of a Wimpy Kid 😉
- The Ugly Truth: Same thing, my daughter read it but I could because the book is by grandma.
- Cabin Fever: This is the first book of the series I read! Both my daughter and I found the book very funny.
- The Third Wheel: Both my daughter and I read this book. I found Greg’s attempts to find a girlfriend quite funny but my daughter said she likes the first books better.
- Hard Luck: Greg’s best friends has a girlfriend and Greg feels lonely. His attempts to make new friends are quite funny though.
- The Long Haul: Greg’s family holiday trip is the worst trip ever. The book is funny but I prefer the books when Greg is at school.
What do we like about the books?
- The books are perfect for beginners: they are easy to read and there are funny pictures
- The books are full with funny, crazy situations but somehow, Greg still sounds like a typical teenager
- I can identify with Greg’s mom. I also try to find educational activities for the children and they usually have not much interest, just like Greg and his brothers.